Looking for reusable free gallery code.

Greetings :-). Its been months since I posted ;-).

I wonder if any one can suggest any pre-existing script to build a photo/scan gallery (free and in PHP). I want the only entry
point for data to be me.

- I want total control over what goes up to be displayed. It is definitely not a gallery for the public to post on. This is the largest change I need over many packages that insist on first having the user upload photos through an included
    function. So .....

- I do not want some type of uploading feature to it but rather, each time a page the script is on is called, it should read all the thumbnails to display on that page from a folder I will declare and use on the server ..... not from a local computer.

- I want a simple system in which I will use a separate ftp package on my local computer to upload both the thumbnails and the larger size photos linked to by the thumbnails. (Years later I still use WS/FTP a lot ;-) ).

- It should have, of course, a parameter that tells how many (thumbnail) images across are displayed before
        dropping to the next line.

- I can store separate subtitles in their own column if I have to but it would be so much faster and keep photo files versus subtitles from getting out of sync if the desired title is actually encoded in the jpeg file name itself and decoded on the fly. Some of you may still remember my working on botanical names of different woods.

There is a high chance that I will have to make my own routine to break down the file name into the desired title. I have partly worked on that. I accept this as almost certainly a separate task I need to code from the other task of finding a gallery code that does not insist on uploading data to some obscure folder internal to itself. However, by this approach it must be coded to allow each photo file to be read, the photo to be displayed, call a routine to decode the file name into a subtitle and display it below that photo before heading off for
            the next photo to show.

I am wondering if I can just read each line in a folder and display each successfully without losing synchronization between photo and photo subtitle. If that does not work, I will fall back to a bit more complexity with using an MySQL table if I have to. .... Just trying to keep things simple and the photos easy and simple on adding and upkeep.

This next part is just a quick illustration of one likely title vs. filename encryption I am likely to use, perhaps more than is needed to
            ask for suggestions of a good candidate package ............
    White Oak
I realize otherwise they have to be stored in a 2 or 3 column table to show proper names and formatting.

I can start right from scratch if I have to ----- but it is always a good idea to check to see if there already is some good reusable code to
try before doing that.

Once I have the general code working nicely, I already have application for 3 different galleries all on the same website :-)

I am always thankful for the help you can provide.

Bill Mudry
Mississauga, Ontario Canada.