To: <php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:47 PM
Subject: Re:  Characters in an uploaded text file being corrupted

Do not use Microsoft Word to save files that need to be read-in by other
software. Ever. It *always* finds a way to screw it up. Even if you cut and
paste it into the other program, I've heard cases where Word has put
unprintable control characters into the pasted output, that showed-up as
spaces in the form, then corrupted the output at runtime.

I suggest you open the saved file in NetBeans. In the NetBeans
settings dialogue, enable the options to "show control characters" and
"process file as unicode"  (iirc). That will cause NetBeans to display all
characters your font set contains, display a square box for the ones it
doesn't, and display the various icons for control characters.

If column alignment in your file is important (for example a set number of
spaces between tokens and operators), you should be using a monospace font.
The best one I've ever used is available here:
http://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/downloads/detail?name=ttf-bitstream-vera-1.10.zip
It's also really easy to read.

For text streams in production site, take a look at BP-Media's sanitizer
classes. Unicode to ASCII to HTML entity conversion is a tricky business,
and these functions will ensure you get the right kind of output no matter
what users throw at you. For example, people embedding unicode sequences in
an ASCII stream.
http://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/source/browse/bp_media/trunk/core/database/class.database.sanitizers.php

^C^