Re: Characters in an uploaded text file being corrupted

Hi

> Ok, and, FWIW, this test text file is a word document that have saved as a
> text file, and when now resaved it using specifically unicode encoding, it
> seemd to eliminate this issue,

Make sure the MySQL Db, table, field are correctly set for the encoding.
MySQL does not default to UTF-8 so you have to manually set it when
creating the Db/table. IIRC, newer versions can also have the encoding
set per field.

> but would have thought there might be a
> relatively simple way to handle something like encoding conversion in PHP
> itself..?

PHP cannot read minds, unfortunately. There are ways to handle encoding
conversions, but I don't think anyone would call them 'simple'. ;-)
See the Multibyte String extension for one way.

--
Niel Archer