Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

Lobbing what I hope is a totally easy softball question here.  I've Googled
around for the answer, I've uninstalled and re-installed, I've tinkered
with the PHP.ini file, copied files all over the place.  Still having this
problem, so here's my plea for help...

I'm new to PHP, and new to Wordpress, but not new to web development.  I
have an existing Apache 2.2 installation on Windows 7 and am trying to add
Wordpress to it.  To support Wordpress, I've installed PHP.  I used the PHP
Windows installer (VC6) and connected up to my existing Apache installation
just fine.  Ran a test.php script and Apache/PHP are playing nice -
everything works.

When I installed PHP, I selected the MSSQL and MySQL extensions.  I have
verified that the extention dll files are in the /ext directory.

I also have verified that the php.ini file contain these entries:
[PHP_MYSQL]
extension=php_mysql.dll
[PHP_MYSQLI]
extension=php_mysqli.dll

Lastly, via my Google searches I've found that perhaps 'libmysql.dll' needs
to be copied into the 'windows/system32' directory, so I tried that.
 Restarted Apache, restarted the entire computer, still getting the error.

I imagine there has to be a very simple reason this PHP installation isn't
working out of the box.  What am I missing?  I am still getting the error
"Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is
required by WordPress."  Should I be looking at WordPress help instead for
this error?

Thanks for any help.

-Cameron