RE: Re: PHP Search DB Table

Okay, thank you all again for your input, I have tried a number of suggestions to work out what is happening. Just to reiterate here is the search form which is on a different page.

<form action='datasearch.php' method='POST'>

shown below is the datasearch.php page

<?php
$term = $_REQUEST['searchx'];
mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "christmas") or die (mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("moneyl") or die(mysql_error());
$query = "SELECT * FROM clients WHERE clientid = '%".$term."%'";
echo $query . '<br />';
echo $term . '<br />';
$result = mysql_query($query);
echo"<table border='1'>";
<th>Middle Name</th>
<th>Last Name</th>
<th>House/Flat Number</th>
<th>Address</th>
<th>Postcode</th>
<th>Gender</th>
<th>Date of Birth</th>
<th>Landline</th>";
while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result ))
{
echo "<tr><td>";
echo$row['clientid'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['feeearner'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['firstname'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['middlename'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['lastname'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['hfnumber'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['address'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['postcode'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['gender'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['dob'];
echo"</td><td>";
echo$row['landline'];
echo"</td></tr>";
}
echo"</table>";
?>

The printout of the query reveals this

SELECT * FROM clients WHERE clientid = '%%'

the echo of the value $term just showed a blank line.

Essentially the numbers entered into the search box which I am retrieving using

$term = $_REQUEST['searchx'];

are not being pulled through, am I using the correct funtion? I tried GET and POST just to see what would happen an no joy.
So why does the above just display a blank value even when there are numbers in the search box? I am very much a novice at this so it is not impossible that I am making a very very basic mistake here but from the tutorials I have seen this should work.

Many thanks for your help, this is the first time I have used this method to obtain help and I have been very impressed with both the speed and quality of the repsonse.

Kind Regards

Oliver