error of "Could not open input file" from PHP CLI

HELP

I have just started to work with PHP.

When I attempt to execute a PHP script I always get the error msg
       Could not open input file: <file-path-name>

I did not find anything about this being a known problem in the archive
so presume I am doing something wrong.

How can I resolve this problem?

Howard Holcombe

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

DETAILS
I downloaded the Windows 5.3.3_VC6 version of PHP onto a XP system and
did a manual install as per the install.txt file.  The install was
performed as a regular user rather than Administrator.

1.
When I use the PHP CLI program to execute a PHP function from the cmd
line as in
	php -r "phpinfo();" > php_results
I get the expected data in the output file.

2.
I created a PHP script file named phpinfo.php (in the directory
X:\work\hholcomb\PHP\test) using Wordpad to execute the phpinfo()
function.  The script file permissions are
          Everyone - Modify, Read&Execute, Read, Write
The script file is NOT Read-only, Hidden or Archive

3.
When I use the PHP CLI program to execute a PHP script file from the cmd
line as in
	php -f "X:\work\hholcomb\PHP\test\phpinfo.php"

I get the error
	Could not open input file: X:\work\hholcomb\PHP\test\phpinfo.php

4.
There are no error log entries

5.
The changes I made to the php.ini file are
-----------------------------------
X:\work\hholcomb\PHP\extract_5.3.3_VC6>diff C:\windows\php.ini
php.ini-production
123d122
< log_errors = On
381d379
< open_basedir="X:\work\hholcomb\PHP"
533c531
< display_errors = On
---
> display_errors = Off
641d638
< error_log = "X:\work\hholcomb\PHP\error_log\PHP_error_log.log"
813d809
< extension_dir = "X:\work\hholcomb\PHP\extract_5.3.3_VC6\ext"
827d822
< cgi.force_redirect = 0
848d842
< cgi.fix_pathinfo=1
857d850
< fastcgi.impersonate = 1
862d854
< fastcgi.logging = 0

X:\work\hholcomb\PHP\extract_5.3.3_VC6>
--------------------------------------

I have done the following to isolate/resolve the problem
   1. validated that the script file does exist in the specified
directory and is
         accessible using the DOS "type" command - file contents are
displayed
   2. tried using UNIX slashes in the path to the script file - same
result
   3. tried running from the directory containing the script file and
just
          specifying the name of the file w/o the path - same result
   4. added a -c <ini-path> to the cmd line - same result
   5. added/removed the open_basedir specification from the php.ini file
- same result
   6. attempted to execute other PHP script files in the same directory
- same result
   7. removed the quote characters around the file path for the script
file - same result