Re: [PHP-DOC] Re: [DOC-BUGS] #49547 [NEW]: Errors in the phd --help text

2009/9/14 Hannes Magnusson <hannes.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:06, Richard Quadling
> <rquadling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2009/9/14 mike at silverorange dot com <doc-bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> 1. The --color option says it is off by default, but it was on by default
>>> for me.
>>

>> In my testing, Windows XP, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008, by default,
>> have no support for coloured console output (along the lines of the
>> old-style ANSI.SYS for MS-DOS).
>>
>> I use a program called ANSICON.EXE from Jason Hood (his site is
>> currently offline [1]). Full source is available when the site is up.
>>
>> By use of a registry entry ...
>
> I'm not comfortable editing the registry settings when installing PhD
> (doubt its even possible using the PEAR installer).
> If someone knows a simple way to enable colors on Windows I'm game for it.
>
> His bugreport is however correct, colors are enabled by default on
> *nix, I however forgot to update the help text (like he said) when I
> changed the defaults :)
>
> -Hannes

You can load ANSICON.exe via several routes.

You don't have to edit the registry to load ANSICON, though the
AutoRun registry setting is a standard setting [1]. I'm doing so as
the key that is amended is one quick and easy way to get ANSICON
loaded automatically.

You can just run ANSICON manually and the shell will now support ANSI colours.

Editing the registry is possible using the REG command from the
Windows Resource ToolKit ...

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor" /v AutoRun /t
REG_SZ /d "C:\Utils\ANSICon.exe -p"

And that can be exec()'d by PHP no problem, but it won't automatically
provide coloured output. That requires the ANSICon app.

So, maybe for Windows PhD should disable coloured output as standard.

Richard.

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779439(WS.10).aspx
--
-----