Re: Re: php_enchant not loadable

> Niel Archer wrote:
> >> Now that VC9 is the official MS compiler version, you still have TS vs
> >> NTS. You also need HEAD/PHP53/PHP52. So for the current 227 extensions
> >> in pecl, that results in a 1,362 builds. Now, if other compilers ARE
> >> needed (older Apache must have VC6), then that double to 2,724. Oh. I
> >> forgot x64, so 5,448 builds.
> >
> > What do you mean "older Apache must have VC6"?  When did they change
> > that, and where is the info to be found?
> > I've been waiting for an official notice from Apache that they have
> > changed the version, so that I can put PHP 5.3 on my dev box.  As it is,
> > I see no mention on the site to say what the binaries are built with,
> > only that VC6 or later is required to compile yourself.
>
> Nothing has changed, only how the windows builds of PHP are now
> 'managed' ... http://windows.php.net/download/ left hand column.
>
> Anything that is included now in a PHP windows build has to have been
> built with the same version of VC, so many third party extensions are no
> longer available to windows users. This purely relates to php, and while
> the basic reason behind it does have a little sense, nothing has changed
> between PHP5.2 and PHP5.3 that would actually prevent properly
> configured import libraries using dissimilar versions of VC from being
> used - it is only the php windows build team that have decided that this
> is not allowed, and that all new windows builds require everything that
> php links to is build using VC9.

Yeah, I knew all that from following win-internals, and it's why I've
been waiting for an announcement from Apache.
 The OP implies that newer versions of Apache use VC9 (well, that they
do not need VC6).

> Third party builds of both Apache and PHP are available for x64 versions
> of windows for example and these do not follow the same over zealous
> restrictions ....

I'm also aware of these.  As much as I would like a 64 bit version of
Apache and PHP 5.3 on my Win2K3 server, I will have to live with the 32
bit versions until 64 bit versions are officially available.  I have to
be conservative for my servers and use official builds as I do not have
the time, or know how, to do it myself.

> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Niel Archer