RE: Excel OLE Automation using COM: file access problem

> From: Richard Quadling
> 2009/5/18 Faubry, Samuel <Samuel.Faubry@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am interfacing PHP and Excel to build a web-based
> reporting tool. I am running IIS6.0 with PHP 5.2.5 on Windows
> Server 2003, with Office 2003 installed.
> >
> > For testing purpose, I wrote a script that just connects to
> Excel, opens a workbook, saves it under another name and closes Excel:
> >
> > $if_path = 'C:\if_test.xls';
> > $of_path = 'C:\of_test.xls';
> >
> > echo date('H:i:s') . " Launch Excel application \n";
> > $excelApp = new COM("Excel.Application") or die("Cannot
> create an Excel object");
> > echo date('H:i:s') . " Loaded Excel, version
> {$excelApp->Version}\n";
> >
> > echo date('H:i:s') . " Open workbook at path $if_path\n";
> > $excelApp->Workbooks->Open($if_path, 2);
> >
> > echo date('H:i:s') . " Save changes to $of_path\n";
> > $excelApp->Workbooks[1]->SaveAs($of_path);
> >
> > echo date('H:i:s') . " Close Excel\n";
> > $excelApp->Quit();
> >
> > When I open the page in Internet Explorer, if I put
> "http://localhost/test.php";, everything works fine, but if I
> put "http://my_server_name.domain.int/test.php";, the script
> is blocked when trying to open the file, which means I can't
> access the script elsewhere than on the server.
> >
> > By "blocked", I mean no error is shown, but it doesn't
> react, and the excel.exe task keeps running and keeps the file locked.
> >
> > My guess is that Excel is run with different permissions in
> the second case, so it cannot access the file, but it might
> be completely something else...
> >
> > Does someone have any experience in that matter ?
> >
> > Thank you very much !
> >

> If it is permissions, TEMPORARILY, allow IIS to interact with the
> desktop. Hopefully you can RDP to the server as the console and see
> what error message pops up (if any).
>
> As PHP and excel run on the server, you will need to see the server
> for any errors that can be displayed in this regard.
>
> I don't think you'll be able to do this on server 2008 as the
> "console" is no longer displayed (session 0 is purely for internal use
> only - services and the like - and no display is allowed).
>

> --
> -----
> Richard Quadling
> Zend Certified Engineer :
> http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND002498&r=213474731
> "Standing on the shoulders of some very clever giants!"

Hi, thanks for your reply, Richard.

I RDP'd to the server console, but no error pops up. I allowed IIS to
interact with the desktop, but I didn't change anything.

I might have found the problem: the file I am trying to open has
external links. With a "normal" file it works fine whatever way I run
the script.

That's why I used the second argument (UpdateLinks) in the Open call
documented here (2 means "Never update links for this workbook on
opening"):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.interop.excel.w
orkbooks.open(office.11).aspx

Apparently, the argument I passed (2 of PHP type integer) is invalid.
Let me explain why I think so:
In the following, I am running everything from
http://localhost/test.php, which allows user interaction.
If I put $excelApp->Visible = 0 and use 2 as the UpdateLinks argument to
Open, everything runs fine without any interaction with the user.
If I put $excelApp->Visible = 1 and use 2 as the UpdateLinks argument to
Open, Excel shows up and tells me the links could not be updated, which
means it tried to update it, which is NOT the expected behaviour!
The values 1, 2 and 3 all give the same result, which is contradictory
with the documentation (1 is "ask", 2 is "do not update" and 3 is "do
update").
If I put 0, Excel shows up and closes without any interaction, but 0 is
not an authorised value according to the documentation.
Any other value crashes the script.
If I don't specify this argument, Excel shows up and asks me if I want
to update, which is the expected behaviour.

According to the documentation, this UpdateLinks argument is an Object,
maybe that's where the problem lies? If so, how can I create the object
to be passed as an argument to Open?

By the way, just out of curiosity, I tried to use the value 0 and run
the script from a client computer, but it is still blocked in the way
described above.

Thanks for your help !