Re: Re: QDBM on Windows

Niel Archer" <not@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:20090406181229.B854.A5CB2C2A@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  ""Harold Fuchs"" <rincewind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>  > I'm running Win XP Pro/SP3, Apache 2.2.11 and PHP 5.2.9.1.
>  >
>  > I have a database built by a Perl program using its "dbm" database
> system
>  > that binds a file to an associative array.
>  >
>  > I have discovered via Google etc. that there's a PHP extension that can
>  > read/write this type of database. It is called "qdbm".
>  >
>  > I have followed the instructions in the PHP manual at
>  > http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/dba.requirements.php and related pages but
>  > nothing works. When I try to run Example 1 at
>  > http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/function.dba-handlers.php which calls
>  > dba_handlers I get an "undefined function" error.
>  >
>  > I have found the Windows binaries qdbm-1.8.75-win32.zip on SourceForge
> by
>  > following the instructions at
>  > http://uk.php.net/manual/en/dba.installation.php which say "Note: This
> was
>  > added in PHP 5.0.0. The qdbm library can be loaded from »
>  > http://qdbm.sourceforge.net. " but this .zip has many files which I
> don't
>  > know what to do with.
>  >
>  > Can someone please help? Step by step please. I've used Perl a lot but
> am
>  > completely new to PHP.
>  >

>  One step further. I re-installed PHP choosing the DBA extension. Now when
>  run the "dba_handlers.php " script mentioned above, I get
>  Available DBA handlers:
>  - cdb: 0.75, Revision: 1.10.2.1.2.5
>  - cdb_make: 0.75, Revision: 1.9.2.1.2.3
>  - db3: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.3.11: (July 12, 2001)
>  - inifile: 1.0, Revision: 1.14.2.1.2.6
>  - flatfile: 1.0, Revision: 1.14.2.1.2.3
>
>  So, how do I get qdbm? Please.

> I'm not sure about this, but I think you have to compile the qdbm
> handler into the dba extension.  I looked at this briefly myself a
> few months ago, in order to transfer the data from an OLD database, but
> haven't had time to complete it.
> Also not sure, but IIRC the Berkeley handler will open dbm files too.  I
> don't have any dbm files to test this with though.

<snip>

> -
> iel Archer
> iel.archer (at) blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks. I've tried all the handlers available and non works. So this is
going on the "can't be bothered" pile and I'll go back to perl which I know
works. Seems the PHP folk are not very interested in Windows and I very much
doubt there's a port to the iPod Touch ...

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England