RE: Does a spreadsheet-like front end exist for MySQL?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Mudry [mailto:billmudry@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 April 2009 04:02 PM
To: php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Does a spreadsheet-like front end exist for MySQL?

I use phpmyadmin a lot. It lacks one feature that I wish existed. You can
edit only one record at a time, and when you are editing a lot of data
manually, the amount of time it takes to open up each record and the time
for so many saves can add up noticeably.

I remember using a front end for MySQL a few years ago that worked much like
a spreadsheet. You could hop around putting data into a page full of records
at will, just like you can with a spreadsheet. You then save at any
frequency you wish. I found this so efficient. It also gave a convenient
overview of a whole screenful of records.

I have and will have for some time to come a need to do a lot of manual data
input. The usual method of a form opening for editing only one record at a
time I find far slower and less efficient than this spreadsheet-like front
end.
It was being used by a group of programmers in Albany, N.Y. and I have no
idea where they got it from.

I should mention ---- this was *not* simply a spreadsheet in which you added
data and then had to import into MySQL each time. The action of saving would
update the database in use every time (--- ie. really simple to use). I seem
to remember that you could even scroll through data. You could easily add,
delete or change.
You didn't have to declare which one of these actions either.

Do any of you know of such a front end (to MySQL) that exists? Is there a
cost or is there an open systems free program that fits?

I imagine to create one would be fairly complicated since the whole sheet of
records is always present as you add data. You simply plopped in data in
cells randomly as you wish and saved once in a while. Any idea what it would
take to code such a program?

<fingers crossed> I hope there is such a program already instead.

Bill Mudry
Mississauga, Ontario

I use an old version of MySQL-Front that does what you describe. Very quick
and very easy. It runs on a client-side windows pc (you didn't mention your
OS) and updates the database on remote Windows or Linux servers, or
localhost Windows. I think MySQL-Front has a different name these days. It's
a commercial product. If you can find it I'd suggest d/l a trial and test to
see if it meets your needs.

Arno