relative path in extension_dir php.ini directive

Hi.
I would like to build a "portable" wamp stack for myself, and I came across
a problem, that I couldn't solve on my own.
I get the latest apache(2.2.11), and php(5.3 rc1), unzipped them, put them
in a directory structure like:
c:\wamp\
  - apache
  - php
added the following to the apache\conf\httpd.conf:
PHPIniDir "../php/php.ini"
LoadModule php5_module "../php/php5apache2_2.dll"
And the  ServerRoot, and every other directory reference is also in relative
form, so this way if I zip the whole thing and unzip it on another machine,
into another directory, it should be working without the need to modify the
configuration files.
But I cant do this with the php extensions.
I tried to set the extension_dir to ./ext, ./php/ext, ../php/ext but no
success.
I thought that the current directory(from which I should set the relative
path) should be the "apache" or "apache/bin", maybe "php", but it seems
thats not the case.
For some reason it seems, that the actual working directory is my
xampp installation's: c:\xampp\htdocs, and I don't understand why.
I didn't have this path in my PATH, nor have I anything similar in my
apache, or php config.
Anybody have any idea, how should I set the extension_dir to successfully
point to c:\wamp\php\ext without using absolute reference (with that, it
works perfectly, but it ruins the whole idea)?

Thanks for your advice.

Tyrael