Re: [PHP] Question about version control.. sorta..

I use GIT and Subversion. Subversion is still a bit hard to use (branching
etc) and not distributed but that was before i knew about GIT :-P. You have
a central repository that you need to commit to and it's still quite CVS
like (which is really confusing and horrible).

GIT is nice and fast and also works in a distributed environment. So, it's
great when you are the only one working on it or even if you have developers
that don't always have broadband and want to commit to the central
repository (when they are connected). It also has a windows port that is
reasonably easy to install. Check out the cygwin unix on windows port
library. It's great when you want the best of both worlds. Git is a package
that you can select in there. I use windows at work and cygwin for all the
unix stuff i want to do in windows, like perl, bash etc. It's awesome!

Spending $150 on this is not really worth it i think and using a database
for version control seems a bit odd. They have a database internally anyway
which is optimised for the purpose and stored as files. Databases store the
data as files (on disk) as well and only have the benefit that some of the
data is stored partially in memory (indeces etc) and speeds up data
retrieval (and i believe writing it too)...

So give GIT a go. It also has a windows shell extension called 'Git
Extensions'.

Although you might like the GUI stuff, i think it's a lot easier to fire up
a console (cmd or bash) and write

git init
git add .
git commit -a -m "your msg"

>From then on, you just have to type:
git commit -a -m "your msg"
to make commits. There is lots of help for it on the web which you wont get
with a proprietary solution. In general Open Source seems to have better
support than closed source (simply because there are a lot more people who
are willing to help because they want to and not because they get paid).

You can create a central repository relatively easy too and push/pull your
commits to your local repository (
http://toolmantim.com/articles/setting_up_a_new_remote_git_repository ). You
can also use one of the many repositories out there if you don't want to
take care of backups etc.

BTW, what do you need incremental backups for in a versioning system? A
versioning system is an incremental backup (an advanced one)! You might want
to backup the whole repository to a different location but you can safely
overwrite that.

I think Linus Torwalds did a really good job on that :-). Hail Linus (lol).
It's versioning as easy as it can get.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
Tim