display_errors=ON --> 500 error

I've installed PHP 5.2.6 on my win XP, IIS 5.1 machine, and can get
"phpinfo.php" to cough up the configure information like it should.

Unless in php.ini I set display_errors = ON and error_log to syslog or
c:\yada\yada.txt.  In that case I get "PHP has encountered and Access
Violation" in firefox (500 error in IE).

I'd really like to see the errors php spits out to the log.  I've set
security in the file path so either "everyone" or IWAM_computername can read
every directory above the last one, and IWAM_computername can read/write the
last one.  Doesn't help.

What incantation will get error logging to work?  (short of installing
Linux.  I share this machine.)

Many thanks.

Herb