Path length for files on NTFS

Hi everyone.

Recently someone using our software told us about problems with generated filenames being too long. I did some research on the net and some quick tests on Vista Business, and it seems there is indeed still a problem.

While NTFS supports path lengths of up to 32k characters, "most software" still supports only 255 (or 260 on Vista) character filenames. Since that includes the full path, we run into this problem with file based caching filenames.

Since there are ways to use long(er) filenames, does anyone know if this planned for PHP? Should it work? Is this a problem others also see?

Kind regards,
Karsten

PS: Those questions may sound stupid, but coming from a Linux/Mac background this is simply a completely new problem to me. :)