SVN PECL extension on Windows

I want to install the php_svn PECL extension on my system, but it repeatedly fails with the following error -

PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '.\ext\php_svn.dll' - The specified module could not be found.

I downloaded the precompiled binary at http://pecl4win.php.net/download.php/ext/5_2/5.2.1/php_svn.dll and placed it in the ext folder.

The entry in the php.ini reads as "extension=php_svn.dll".

I verified that the file is in the correct folder by renaming one of the working extensions then restarting the server. This threw up the same error for both the extensions.

An earlier thread about this same topic some months ago ended inconclusively, but that was on a WAMP setup. I have a feeling that the extension is not able to access svn for some reason, but I don't know how to fix that.

Windows XP Pro
Apache 2.2.4.0
PHP 5.2.3
svn 1.4.6