Trouble connecting to MySQL using mysqli extension on XP

I had a tough time getting PHP to connect to MySQL using mysqli on XP.
The following code from the php documentation on mysqli failed to work.

$mysqli = new mysqli( "localhost", "user", "password", "database" );

Where localhost, user, password, and database were replaced with the
appropriate values.
I left the host parameter as "localhost" because that's what I wanted,
however that did not work.
So I changed it to NULL, which defaults to localhost as per the
documentation, but this still did not work.

After some googling, I found the answer on another forum, which stated
that the host should be a dot ".", but no other explanation was given.

Is there anyone that can shed some light on the situation?
Everything works fine now, but I would really like to know why I can't use
"localhost", and why this isn't documented.

I've tried every mysqli option imaginable in the php.ini file.
It seems that host must be a dot.