PHP and MSSQL Connection on IIS 5.1

Hi, Guys:

  This is my first time running PHP 5.2 on a IIS 5.1 Server using a Windows XP machine.
  My client wants me to build the PHP scripts and the database on one single machine. So far I could run the PHP fine, but I am having a hard time connecting to the MSSQL database even though it is on one machine.

  I have created a freetds.conf file and have it set in the Windows directory in the following format:

 [global]
     host = 192.168.10.62
     port = 1433
     client charset = UTF-8
     tds version = 8.0
     text size = 20971520

I have then went into C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test and built a index.php script, with my code as follows:

 <head>
  <title>PHP Test</title>
 </head>
<?php
echo "<p>Hello!</p>";
$myServer = "global";
$myUser = "user";
$myPass = "password";
$myDB = "books";
// connection to the database
$dbhandle = mssql_connect($myServer, $myUser, $myPass)
or die("Couldn't connect to SQL Server on $myServer");
// select a database to work with
$selected = mssql_select_db($myDB, $dbhandle)
or die("Couldn't open database $myDB");
echo "You are connected to the " . $myDB . " database on the " . $myServer . ".";
// close the connection
mssql_close($dbhandle);
?>

So far I only get this from the screen:

Hello!
Couldn't connect to SQL Server on global

Is there anything else I have missed? I have followed the prompts of installing FreeTDS according to http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_MSSQL_for_PHP, Would anyone say if I use something like ODBC would work better?

I welcome any suggestions.

Alice