Warning: eregi() [function.eregi]: REG_ERANGE in ...

I'm have trouble with some code that I have been following in a book
regarding regular expressions. I'm attempting to validate an email
using a regular expression. Below is a simplified version of the code
which reproduces the problem I'm having:

<?php
	define("EMAIL_RE", '^[a-zA-Z0-9_\-.]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-.]+$');
	$email = trim($_GET['email']);
	$result = eregi(EMAIL_RE, $email);
	echo $result . "<br />\n";
	if ($result) echo "Email valid";
	else "Email invalid"
?>

Calling this code with the argument get=bob@xxxxxxxxxxx, I'd expect an
interger output something like this

15
Email valid

Yet instead, all get is a warning that I cannot fathom and nothing else:

Warning: eregi() [function.eregi]: REG_ERANGE in C:\Documents and
Settings\daniel.stevens\My
Documents\Workspace\htdocs\tutoring\eregi_test.php on line 4

I've tried searching for this warning to find out what it means, but I
cannot find any reference to it on the web. Is anyone able to tell me
what this warning means and why I am not getting the output I'm
expecting? Can anyone advise how best to find out what a particular
error or warning means so I don't have to ask on this list everytime I
come across one that means nothing? php.net does not appear to have a
list.

Thanks in advance.