PHP Install problems

I'm trying to work my way through the "Beginning PHP5, Apache, MySql Web
Development" book by Elizabeth Naramore, et. al. -- i.e. a newbie. I'm
having trouble getting Apache to recognize my php code files on my HP
Windows XP machine.  It has service pack 2 and is current with updates.

I followed the examples in the book and added a documentroot line and a
directory line to the httpd.conf file.  The index.html file worked witn IE7
but not with Fire Fox when I used the http://localhost URL.  Next I created
the second check which had me create a php testing file phptest.php in the
same directory as the index.html file. Which included the following code: --

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>PHP Testing</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<?php
echo "If this works, we <i>really<-i> did it!";
?>
</BODY>
</HTML>

When I used the http://localhost/phptest.php a 404 url not found message
resulted.
was when I unzipped the httpd-2.2.6-win32-src-r2.zip file I do not see the
MSI file mentioned in Appendix I of the book.  Can any one help me.

RJD (bob daniels)