can php on windows correctly set and return 777 permissions values?

I'm trying to run an install script for some software that I bought and the
install script checks that some file permission settings are correctly set.
In this case they must be set to "777". I have not been able to run the
script successfully and my hosting company has said that it cannot be
successfully be run on their site because "our php running in windows always
returns 666 for a file instead of the required 777.  Directories return the
required 777 permissions."

Does this sound credible? Are there settings that they could change to make
this work?

Thanks in advance.