Re: php-windows Digest 23 Jul 2007 22:52:16 -0000 Issue 3288

On 23 Jul 2007 22:52:16 -0000, php-windows-digest-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<php-windows-digest-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

php-windows Digest 23 Jul 2007 22:52:16 -0000 Issue 3288

Topics (messages 28227 through 28232):

How to configure PHP support for MySQL on Windows?
        28227 by: Sean B. Durkin

Re: How do configure PHP support for MySQL on Windows?
        28228 by: vikas batra
        28229 by: Sean B. Durkin
        28230 by: Janet Valade
        28231 by: Niel Archer
        28232 by: Sean B. Durkin

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        php-windows-digest-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:

To post to the list, e-mail:
        php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: vikas batra <vikas_batra06@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:38:52 +0530 (IST)
Subject: Re:  How do configure PHP support for MySQL on Windows?
Pls ensure that ur mysql service has ben started or not if not started then start it from control panel->Administrative tools->services. and then see the results. u r editing right php.ini or not, pls ensure also this one.

Vikas Batra
contact: +91-9818439935

From: Janet Valade <janet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:02:21 -0700
Sean B. Durkin wrote:

> Hi,
>

> How does one configure PHP support for MySQL on Windows?
>
> My host operating system is Windows Server 2003.
> 1. I have installed Apache 2.2 via the msi installer
> (apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi).
> 2. I have installed MySQL 5.1 via the windows installer
> (mysql-5.1.20-bet-win32.zip).
> 3. I have installed PHP 5 via the msi installer
> (php-5.2.3-win32-installer.msi)
> 4. I have enabled the php_mysql.dll extension inside of php.ini
> 5. I have ensured that libmysql.dll in on the system path.
>
> I have done all of this correctly, but I still cannot open
> a database from php script! What am I doing wrong? Can any one
> please advise?

What error message do you get?

Janet

From: "Sean B. Durkin" <a@b>
To: php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:53:56 +1000
Niel,

Thanks for your advise. I have tested the Apache web server, and it is
working fine. I have tested MySQL through a console window, and used it
to create a database, and it is working fine. I have tested PHP on
Apache by viewing php pages, and it is working fine.

However if I use a php script to call any php mysql database functions,
then parsing bombs out without returning an error message. For example,
the following script returns an blank page to the browser. There is not
even an error message.

The following code is from Kevin Yank's book "Build Your Own Database
Driven Web-site using PHP and MySQL".
<head>
<title>Our List of Jokes</title>
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
</head>
<?php
// Connect to the database server
$dbcnx = @mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'mypasswd');
if (!$dbcnx) {
exit('<p>Unable to connect to the ' .
'database server at this time.</p>');
}
// Select the jokes database
if (!@mysql_select_db('ijdb')) {
exit('<p>Unable to locate the joke ' .
'database at this time.</p>');
}
?>
<?php
// Request the text of all the jokes
$result = @mysql_query('SELECT joketext FROM joke');
if (!$result) {
exit('<p>Error performing query: ' . mysql_error() . '</p>');
}
// Display the text of each joke in a paragraph
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
echo '<p>' . $row['joketext'] . '</p>';
}
?>

I have followed Kevin Yank's book, which is a step-by-step
guide.

Any ideas anyone?

Faithfully,
Sean B. Durkin