Re: How do configure PHP support for MySQL on Windows?

Thanks M. Sokolewicz.

Yes, it is literally from the book.

Also, I turned on
 [php]display_startup_errors=on
in my php.ini file, restarted Apache and got this interesting error message:
 "Unable to load <path>\php_mysql.dll - Invalid access to memory".

After googling around in other forums, I observed that this is a
common error, and it is most likely caused by incompatible versions
of PHP, php_mysql.dll and MySQL.

Do you agree? Would anyone else like to contribute an opinion as to
the cause of this error?

Anyway, I uninstalled everything, and started again with XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html). XAMPP is just Apache,
PHP and MySQL all in one bundle. I installed it and it just works!

Faithfully,
Sean B. Durkin

M. Sokolewicz wrote:
If that's literally from a book then I strongly suggest you burn the book. I would never trust _anything_ learned from a book that actively disables error-reporting on almost _all_ functions. Kick out all the @ operators and you might start seeing errors (they force PHP to ignore them silently), which are 90% likely to resolve your problem.

- Tul

Sean B. Durkin wrote:
Niel,

Thanks for your advise. I have tested the Apache web server, and it is working fine. I have tested MySQL through a console window, and used it
to create a database, and it is working fine. I have tested PHP on
Apache by viewing php pages, and it is working fine.

However if I use a php script to call any php mysql database functions,
then parsing bombs out without returning an error message. For example,
the following script returns an blank page to the browser. There is not
even an error message.

The following code is from Kevin Yank's book "Build Your Own Database Driven Web-site using PHP and MySQL".
<head>
<title>Our List of Jokes</title>
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
</head>
<?php
// Connect to the database server
$dbcnx = @mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'mypasswd');
if (!$dbcnx) {
exit('<p>Unable to connect to the ' .
'database server at this time.</p>');
}
// Select the jokes database
if (!@mysql_select_db('ijdb')) {
exit('<p>Unable to locate the joke ' .
'database at this time.</p>');
}
?>
<?php
// Request the text of all the jokes
$result = @mysql_query('SELECT joketext FROM joke');
if (!$result) {
exit('<p>Error performing query: ' . mysql_error() . '</p>');
}
// Display the text of each joke in a paragraph
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
echo '<p>' . $row['joketext'] . '</p>';
}
?>

I have followed Kevin Yank's book, which is a step-by-step
guide.

Any ideas anyone?

Faithfully,
Sean B. Durkin

Niel Archer wrote:
Hi

The MySQL is started. I have only one php.ini and it is in the correct location.

That statement is only true, provided your not working under a
misconception, the usual cause of problems.

Your initial post told us very little useful info, just that you'd
install this, that and the other.  Did you test each component along the
way to ensure it was working?

If so, what errors does PHP give when attempting to use a MySQl db?

You might try looking at this step by step guide also to see if you
missed anything
http://wamp.corephp.co.uk/

--
Niel Archer