Re: Virus left 3 desktops folders in directory tree of WinXP sp2

Chetanji wrote:
I need help in deleting these extra two desktops.
I have Administrator Privledges but when attempting to delete these extra
Desktop folders I get the error...

"Desktop is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run
properly. It cannot be deleted."
This is causing quite a headache.  This may not be the correct forum to beg
an answer for this but...

Normal desktop is C:\DocumentsandSettings\Ahis\Desktop;

As well there is C:\DocumentsandSettings\All Users\Desktop;

And finally C:\DocumentsandSettings\All Users\Desktop\Shared
Documents\Desktop;

This situation is causing the whole workstation to act peculiar and no work
is being done by the user.

May the answer equal the frustration in relief it brings.

Which bit of PHP-Windows confused you? I'm guessing the "PHP" bit!!

The only one of those that probably shouldn't be there is the one in shared documents, and I see absolutely no reason why this would cause any peculiar behaviour.

One possible way to remove that folder would be to boot the system to safe mode command prompt only (Google for it if you don't know what I'm talking about). Navigate to the directory you want to get rid of and delete it from that command line. NOTE THAT YOU CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE WINDOWS TO THE POINT OF NOT WORKING BY DOING STUFF LIKE THIS.

That aside I suggest you find a Windows mailing list or forum and ask the question there. If you think it's a virus do you know what virus? Googling for that virus will usually give you more help than asking a random mailing list.

-Stut