Error With fsocketopen() Call

Hello all,

  I am having a problem sending an email from PHP 4.1.3/IIS 5.0. I am using a
PHP Class called phpmailer. The problem occurs when the mailer tries to open
a socket to my SMTP server. I can get the same error with this little bit of
code:
// Begin test code
$fp = fsockopen("smtp.example.com", 25, $errno, $errstr, 30);

if($errno == 0 && !$fp){
	// error occurred before the socket was opened
	print "Error occurred before connect() call";
}elseif(!$fp){
	// error opening socket
	print "$errstr ($errno)<br>\n";
}else{
	print "socket opened";
}
// End test code

When I run the code above, this is the output:
Bad file descriptor (9)

Can anyone tell me what this error means?

The server is provided by my ISP so I have no control over it.

Thanks,
James

--
James Crow