MySQL + SSL with PHP on windows

Is anyone using a SSL encrypted MySQL connection from PHP on Windows?

I've as of yet been unable to get this to work.  "SSL Connection Error"
is returned from mysql_error in all the cases I've tried.

I've tried PHP 5.2.1 using both the mysql and mysqli clients, as well as
php 4.4.6 with mysql 5.0.37 [from edin.dk].

I don't know if this is a specific problem with the mysql client on
windows or with the php_mysql library.  I've been able to get the native
mysql client to connect securely only when strictly specifying the
ssl-ca ssl-key and ssl-cert files, however providing the same to mysqli
(via mysqli_ssl_set) still gives the "SSL Connection Error".  The native
client has the same problem when I don't specify all the ssl parameters
(the linux native client seems to generate a key to connect when some of
the parameters are missing or invalid).

On linux I've been able to get it to work from php using the MySQL
client just by passing the MYSQL_CLIENT_SSL flag (with no reference to
cert and key files).

I've tried searching and haven't found anyone specifically saying they
have been able to do this from PHP on Windows.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Marc W. Bourgeois
Network Systems Administrator
Division of University Housing