SSL on Windows Server 2003

Good Day To All,

System Config:
Windows Server 2003
PHP 5.2

I'm hoping someone can help give me a high level understanding between
the differences between an SSL certificate installed on my webserver and
an SSL module (e.g. OpenSSL) installed on my web server.

1. My current understanding is that the SSL certificate installed on my
webserver will encrypt data coming from and going to a client web
browser if the protocol is HTTPS.  So, if on a checkout form at my web
store the url begins with https, then credit card info, etc. will be
encrypted and considered safe from sniffers, etc.  Is this correct?

2. I become fuzzy then for the need or proper use of an SSL module
(let's just go with OpenSSL).  Specifically, my current webstore has
VeriSign's Payflow Pro API installed on the webserver, and I have
written a class that sends payment requests to VeriSign by using the
Payflow Pro as a COM object.  However, this is very slow (taking 30
seconds per transaction).  Recently my company purchased X-Cart Shopping
cart software and I am trying to get this configured to use our Payflow
Pro account using XMLPay.  However, I keep getting an error that no SSL
module could be located for secure transactions. So, why do I need an
SSL module if I am submitting transaction data to an HTTPS url?

PHP is configured with OpenSSL support (v0.9.8d), I assume this just
means OpenSSL functions are available, but I still need to install
OpenSSL on my webserver?

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ken Vandegrift
kvandegrift@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kvandegrift@xxxxxxxxxx>
Web Administrator