IIS, and how it reads the Path/Environment variables

Greetings,

I realize this may not be the proper place to ask this question -- but
as it's in relation to a PHP install I thought someone here might know.

I'm trying to install PHP with the MSSQL extension on a Windows 2003
production environment.  I'm not a network admin, but have been given
special permission to do so for a project I'm trying to implement.  I
have successfully gotten PHP to function properly, however it will not
load the MSSQL or any SQL extension for some reason.

I've been told that I need to restart IIS in order to get it to work,
but I have special reason to believe that's not true.  IIS will shut
down idle worker processes after a declared amount of time and when it
gets called again will start it anew.  That being said, I've
successfully changed PHP configurations and seen a change in the output
of phpinfo(); or broken PHP all together.

It's just not picking up the extensions for some reason.  I've been told
that restarting IIS is not an option available to me.

I will provide a phpinfo page privately to someone if they're willing to
 help me with this..

Thanks in advance,
-Austin