how to enable objects?

The following code doesn't seem to do anything in the standard php distribution that I have set up. I encountered some information in the manual that suggests php works with this object-style of coding. But is there something I have to do to enable php to deal with objects?

Is there a module or something that I have to install?

If so, how do I go about locating and installing it?
code example:
$chapter_array->rewind();
 $iterator=$chapter_array->getIterator();
echo $iterator->current();

echo $iterator->key();

Thanks in adfvance for any information.