Dynamic HTML table sort with PHP

Good Day List,

Does anybody know of a pure PHP way to make table header cells trigger a
column sort?

If I have a table header that contains a link that when clicked
resubmits the page to itself with the proper sort query variables (e.g.
index.php?sortBy=ORDER_ID&sortOrder=ASC), I want PHP to rewrite the
sortOrder query string to be "sortOrder=DESC" and then "sortOrder=ASC"
the next time column heading is clicked.  This way, the column will sort
like windows columns and users will feel "at-home" with the process.

I can write some JavaScript that will dynamically rewrite the href
attribute of the link, but I was hoping for a pure PHP solution in case
JavaScript is disabled.

Thanks.

Ken Vandegrift
kvandegrift@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kvandegrift@xxxxxxxxxx>