RE: single sign on

There are lots of ways I am tempted to interpret your question, but for now
I would assume that when you refer to a "valid" session, you mean a session
cache that is filled with data.

In PHP when you someone requests a page that contains session_start(); (when
sessions are properly set up), and the session is expired, or otherwise
invalid, I believe you wind up with a new session where the cash is empty
(no variables stored under the $_SESSION array).  This means you can sense
the empty array as an indicator that the session is no longer valid, but
bear in mind the same indication appears if it is a new (and of course,
empty) session, the rest is dependent on your application.

Hope this helps,

Warren Vail