SOAP newbie help

Good Day to Everyone,

I need to interact with a Web Service that activates a gift card for my
company and I will be using the SOAP extension built into PHP 5.1.2 and
running on Windows Server 2003 and IIS6.

I have read the manual along with numerous online tutorials but still
have trouble understanding the process to get this going.

I have a WSDL file provided by the company that handles our gift card
requests.

Sample starting point:

$client = new SoapClient("path/to/file.wsdl");

However, I am not able to connect - I receive the following error:

 SoapFault exception: [WSDL] SOAP-ERROR: Parsing WSDL: Couldn't load
from 'http://.../b2b.wsdl' (note: actual path removed)

Anyone with a suggestion as a starting point to diagnose this issue?  I
can open the WSDL file in a web browser but can't seem to initiate a
connection.  I have extension=php_soap.dll set in the php.ini and IIS6
has been restarted.

I apologize for the vague nature of my request - but not sure of the
exact question to ask quite yet.

Thank you.

Ken Vandegrift