How to retrieve a result from a function using the OCI interface to ORACLE

Dear Friends,
    I am quite lost here. I am implementing quite a lot of functions and
packages in ORACLE to actualize data, but I dont see possible yet to call
successfully the function. Given the following code:

"Declare
    res NUMBER
Begin
   res := foo('bar');
end;"

I cannot get the value of res.

What I am doing in php is:

a) parsing the code
b) oci_bind_by_name($stmt, ":res", $res);
c) oci_execute($stmt);

and the only thing that I can get is apache to hang up. Does anyone knows
how to fix it? because I've been searchin' the documentation and I couldnt
find the fix so far.
Thx in advance

Leonardo Belen. AFIP-AR

PS: My system is a Windows 2000 Machine with apache 2*, and oracle 9.2