Re: Handle a serial communication on COM1

select now escribió:

Hi,

I intend to manage a serial communication with a
cash register trought COM1.

Everything works fine, only after I set manually an open connection to
COM1 with an Windows32 dedicated apps. I want to eliminate this
proceeding to manage this communication by main php application.

I want to find any resources (man, docs) to help myself to do this. I
look for PHP functions (or applications) to manage the connection with
this device.

Thank you in advance.

--
best wishes,
a programmer select.now@xxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I think you need to look for Win32 API.

If you are using PHP4, you need the php_win32api extension, otherwise php_ffi should be the right one on PHP5.

That should do the work for accessing to the win32 api functions.

I believe that's the only way (going thru the win32 api). I don't know of the existence of any other package or extension to do such a job -managing a com port device-.

As I say, you need to use some win32 api calls to manage the com port device, and then you can handle the data with usual PHP code. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

The other way could be to use an auxiliary program, as there are some that convert a COM port in a TCP port so you can communicate as if you where on sockets (tcp2com I remember its called, and it is not the only one) but this way could have some anoyances, anyway perhaps it is a easier way for doing the job, but you relay on a external app for that to work this way and that is not good.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Gonzalo
http://gmc.serveisw3.net