Re: NEWB: get username that is currently logged in to Windows workstation.

The Javascript idea would work, but I don't understand what is really
going on in the script.

        var WshNetwork = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Network");

I guess this declares a variable, but I know nothing of ActiveX, since
it's about to be deprecated anyway, I never bothered to learn it. I am
going to assume that WScript.Network is a "superglobal" ActiveX array.

        //document.write(WshNetwork.UserName);
        //document.writeln(WshNetwork.UserDomain)

If these were uncommented, I am assuming they would display the
"UserName" and "UserDomain." I guess there should be a semicolon at
the end of the second line. :-P  At this point though, I wouldn't want
to display this info, just assign it to a variable or cookie so i can
get at it with PHP. I suppose in this case I can always echo the JS
within PHP to get it to assign to a PHP variable. Maybe?

        document.forms[0].lookupNBID.value = WshNetwork.UserName
        document.forms[0].submit()

Here is where I am confused. Generally speaking, at this point, I just
want to get the username assigned to a PHP variable. But what happens
here? I guess you are naming a form element and then comparing that to
the current username upon submit, but what good is that if you do not
also authenticate the password?

I guess I'm missing the second part of my question which is to get the
username assigned to a PHP variable. How do I do this?
-Aaron