PHP 5.1.2 ISAPI and Mysql

ok folks, heres one for ya.

IIS 6 (Win 2003 Ent)  New installation (no possible reminants of an old php
version, not that I haven't reverified)
PHP 5.1.2
Mysql 5.0.18
PHP dir (c:\php) added to path.
php.ini (from php.ini-dist) modified to for IIS (cgi.force_redirect = 0),
php/ext dir (extension_dir=c:/php/ext) and mysql extension
uncommented.(extension=php_mysql.dll)

When I load the use the isapi for php and attempt to connect to the
database, I get the message "cannot find mysql_connect....." as if the
extension wasn't loaded.   I have verified that it is loaded via phpinfo.
In addition, I've changed the ext directory to point to where it is not
located to verify that it is using the php.ini, and of course I receive an
error, as expected (cannot find php_mysql.dll).  All other aspects of php
seem to work fine based on limited tests, as you would expect.

The most confusing part is that if I use the php-cgi in IIS instead of the
isapi, everything works perfect.  (no other changes made).

I could understand that if this was my first php 5 setup or I was just being
stupid, but I dont see any reason for this to be happening and need a fresh
outlook if anyone has any suggestions.

Now normally when setting up php on IIS, I just use the cgi and call it
good, as in the past there were possible stability issues, but as I've moved
the site to a new server, I was hoping the isapi would preform a little
better.  comments?  tips?