unexplicable crash?

Hi All,

I've been having a problem with a PHP script. It simply crashes with the
classic message "PHP.exe did a nasty thing and need to be closed bla
bla ...". No message in apache's log nor php's. It is a very complicated
script and has an extensive use of session (huge complex structure in
session) and database (odbc) access.

Sometimes it crashes and others it works fine. The probability of
crashing increases the more the application is used.

It crashes on both versions of PHP 4.3.4 and 4.4.3 and on apache 1.3 and
apache2. I've tested it on windows XP SP1 and windows 2000 server.
Apache module and CGI script. I've not seen it crash on linux.

Could it be an out of memory problem? How could I debug it? I've heard
that php.ini's memory_limit is useless in windows. I also do not have
the function memory_get_usage() defined.

Or perhaps there is a catch when overusing session data? Alternatives?

Where do I go from here? :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Egon.