RE: Test.php loads, but nothing in Browser

More likely than not you have notices/warnings turned off in your
php.ini file.  Check

error_reporting = E_ALL

set.  The problem with your test.php script is probably that you do not
have a proper closing tag.  You said your script is:

<? phpinfo( ) ; ? >

when it should look more like:

<? phpinfo(); ?>

The main difference here is the "? >" vs. the correct tag of "?>".

-jim