Include problem

I recently allowed one of my friends to host their site on my server, and we
realized that when you click a link, it doesn't include the content into the
main page. I'm not sure what would cause this, but the include code is the
following:

    <?php
                         if ($page == "")
                         {
                           include("news.php");
                         }
                         else
                         {
                         include "$arp.php";
                         }
                         ?>

The function is to by default, include "news.php" and then when you click a
link, it should include the new page's content into the content box on the
website. Instead, it doesn't show anything. I thought it might have been a
browser problem, but I tested it with the newest FireFox and IE.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ken Yarbrough