Changes to php.ini file have no effect

Hi Everyone, please excuse me if this post breaks protocols in any way, since I'm new to this.

I've been running a php-nuke site for some time, but recently it started acting funny. I made some changes to my php.ini, but discovered that changes have no effect. Even if I delete the php.ini from my windows directory and the php directory, there is no effect. Is there some chance that a variable somewhere, possibly changed by an error or a hacker, now points to a hidden php.ini file somewhere?

I'm running Apache and PHP 4.3 on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, Charlie