INI Path problems

I am running W2K with IIS 5.0 and PHP 4.4.n (nsapi)

I am attempting to get the curl extension working but I keep getting an
undefined function. I check phpinfo and find that the extension is not
the extension directory should be c:\php\extensions phpinfo shows it as
being c:\php4. The extension is uncommented, and the proper dlls have been
moved to the c:\winnt\system folder.

Can anyone tell me why the ini file is not being read for the extension
folder or how to fix it? I have looked at
http://docs.php.net/en/configuration.html for more information. This is
getting frustrating, perhaps I should install Apache.