Re: Is this a PHP bug?

I had a look at the link and couldn't find the quote you have below, but I am happy to believe you.

Viewed in this context, I guess it does behave correctly and predictably.

I'll have to be more careful with my type mixing in future.

Thanks for your input ... Ross

Paul Menard wrote:
Well per this PHP page: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.comparison.php,
"If you compare an integer with a string, the string is converted to a number. "

So to follow this regarding your example:

$x = 0; // Numeric zero
$y = 'Some kind of string';

if (is_null($x)) echo "x is NULL<br>";
if (is_null($y)) echo "y is NULL<br>";

echo "x is [" . gettype($x) . "]<br>";
echo "y is [" . gettype($y) . "]<br>";

echo "y as integer=[" . (int)($y) . "]<br>";

if ($x == $y) echo 'they equal using ==';
if ($x === $y) echo 'they equal using ===';

As you might see from the line 'echo "y as integer...' if you cast the string, $y, as an integer
per the PHP page referenced above the value reported is integer zero. So this is how if can equal
$x which is already an integer and value zero itself.

No for some of you assumptions philosophies etc.

Many think PHP is a typeless language. This is not accurate. PHP is actually a loosley-typed
language. This is evident from the ability to assign type to variables. Also in the fact that you
are allowed to compared variables to each other (at you own risk) even if the types do not match.
This is very unlike other strong-typed languages like C and C++.
The designers of the PHP language semantics had to make a choice in how a compare of mixed-typed
variables would be handled. In my opinion, being a C++ developer in a former life, it is easier to
convert the string to numeric than the numeric to string for the 'on-the-fly' compare.

I hope this helps your understanding. My suggestion is if you are still of the mind this is a bug
report it to PHP.

P-

--- Ross Honniball <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm yet to be convinced it isn't a bug. I suspect it is a bug that has been around so long that
they can't afford to fix it or it may break many applications that for various peculiar reasons
rely on it to behave as it does for their code to work.

For those who have tried to defend its behaviour, this is my logic.

1. The == operator means, by definition, "don't worry about variable 'type', just compare the
values"
  (This is probably the single thing I love about PHP more than anything else)

2. If the numeric variable $x is given ANY other numeric value other than zero, the logic behaves correctly as you read it

So it is irrational for program logic to vary between a zero value and, for aguments sake, a
numeric value of 42.

Regarding specifically TG's explanation below, I believe he is wrong. If you compare a numeric
type and a string type using ==, PHP should convert the number to a string and compare the two
from there.

Anyway, not expecting any answers to this, just a point of note and a strange quirk to keep at
the back of your head when consciously comparing numeric / string variables.

Ross

tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It's because PHP is trying to convert different var types into a common var type and then

compare them when you use ==.  === means compare value AND type so that's why it fails.

Your string, 'Some kind of string' is getting converted down to the lowest common denominator,

an int.  Since there are no numbers in the string to grab onto, it gets converted to nothing, an
int value of zero.

If you had $x = "0" or if $y had contained numbers at all, it wouldn't have passed.

But this is why when you use $x.'' it works properly because now you have "0<empty string>",

it's been converted to a string value "0".  Good catch on that though, shows good methodical
debugging :)

So in the future, either use === or be extra aware of your variable types and make sure you're

comparing properly.

Good luck!

-TG