Re: Visibility of the root in an APACHE setting

Tony Aldemir wrote:
A rookie question:
[...]

I am sure there is a way to organize my files under the root in different
folders or somewhere else and still have them visible to the APACHE server.
What is the trick here?

The easiest way is to unzip the application into its own dir (say appX) into the htdocs, then from your browser point to http://yousite/appX.

Another way is to unzip the applications somewhere on your system, then tell to apache how to reach that application using the parameter 'alias' (i.e. alias /appX/ "your_disk:/path_to_appX/" ). From the browser point of view this solution is the same as the previous (http://yousite/appX points to appX).

Both solutions may be broken if the application points at least one page to the site root (/somescript.php). You may handle that case using the vitrual host. Each virtual host may have its own home directory.

Tony
Darvin