PHP cannot connect to the database

I cannot get PHP to work with either MySQL or MS-SQL. I'm running Win 2000 Pro with IIS. Note: PHP actually does work, just not the db connectivity. I followed the manual install steps.

I have...
1) added c:\php to my PATH. phpinfo shows that it is in the PATH string. When testing PHP4, I've set that path to my php4 directory.
2) edited php.ini so that extension=php_mysql.dll and extension=php_mssql.dll are uncommented.
3) Set extension_dir = "c:\php\ext\" (which is where the files are). I've also installed PHP4 to php4 and set the extension_dir in that installation's ini file accordingly.
4) Restarted the PC (for both PHP installs).

php_info.php shows that the directory is in the path (and again, PHP does run).

PHP chokes on $link = mysql_connect(server, username, password). And MS-SQL chokes on $link = mssql_connect(server, username, password). Server, username and password are string literals in the code.

The error message is:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mssql_connect() in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\php_test\ms_sql_test.php on line 3

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm trying to help a friend with a quick zencart/phpbb site and also evaluating PHP to possibly migrate our office from Cold Fusion.

Thanks for your help.
Scott

Discover Yahoo!