From: Murray @ PlanetThoughtful [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 May 2005 15:20
To: 'S.D.Price'; 'php-windows'
Subject: RE:  Breadcrumb trial as sessions

> 1. I need to have a flat folder structure if a user goes down a level
> the file will probably be in the same folder and will not be an index
> file.
>
> 2. The development server url will be totally different form the live
> url, so the breadcrumb trail won't work properly on both.
>
> Would it be possible to create a breadcrumb trail for the users
> session, recording the pages they were on as they move through the
> site, anyone know how this could be done?
>
> I know this isn't a consistent navigation, but if you have top level
> links, search/sitemap/a-z index support - isn't it acceptable to have
> one navigation interface which is customised to the users unique
> visit?

Breadcrumbs usually (or, at least, usually as I've seen them) represent
'specialization of information' (my own term -- there's probably a
better 'official' term out there).

By that I mean they represent a conceptual path to content. For example,
in a site that reviews technology, a breadcrumb trail, when reading an
article about Redhat, might look like:

Home / Articles / Tech Articles / Linux Articles / Redhat Articles /
Article About Current Release Of Redhat

Even if the user clicked on a link on the main page that took them
straight to the article about the current release of Redhat, the
breadcrumb trail above remains relevant, since they've expressed an
interest in Redhat, which implies an interest in Linux, which falls
within the broader scope of technology articles etc. In this sense, the
breadcrumb trail for each 'page' can usually be almost entirely derived
from the way in which you categorize / organize your content, and
shouldn't require sessions to implement (well, or at least, I've never
had to use sessions to implement a breadcrumb trail previously).

>From what you've written, though, it sounds like what you're trying to
implement is a 'page visited trail', though I think this would
eventually get confusing, particularly if a user visited a page, hit the
back button, went back to the article, clicked on a link that took them
to some entirely different part of the site and so on. It raises
questions like, 'if a user visits the same page or content 3 times, do I
show that link 3 times in their page trail? Is it more or less
confusing, one way or the other?' You'd have to take into account the
fact that people often follow non-linear / erratic pathways, and you
might end up representing something like:

Home / Article / Home / Tech Articles / Home / Product Reviews / Monitor
Reviews / Home / Product Reviews / Search / Search Results / Article
About New Game / Home

Personally, I'd find that of little benefit as a user, but that's just
me.

Murray