Re: Newcomer

Please do not CC me, just write to the list.  I will usually see responses.

Michael wrote:
Jason, I think your last answer is misleading, PHP does not by default produce markup unless you choose to output or produce markup with PHP. You can use PHP to return raw data, manipulate data in a data store etc. etc. without producing any markup at all. Infact it is not good web

Very true.

development practice to have PHP produce / generate much or any markup at all (unless you are working on a small website that will not change much).

Not quite sure I agree with this statement though; perhaps you can explain better what you mean. There are a lot of times that I use PHP to filter out HTML markup so that I can make sure some fool hasn't managed to stick some evil Javascript in to my database. Or I use PHP to generate an XML tree for <insert many good reasons here>.