Web based Accounting / COM

The question: can anyone point me to a good howto for building COM components? It would be great if there were open source tools for building the actual COM object. It would be better if the howto was geared towards building COM objects for web apps. Obviously the web pages will be written in PHP so if there is a reference for PHP <-> COM interoperability that would be the best!

The details:

My company is a longtime user of the the Peachtree Accounting software. It's very cheap compared to all of the features it provides ($849 multi-user) and it meets most of our needs. However, my boss recently told me that we need to be able to support a few features remotely.

- Our install guys need to be able to enter expense reports
- The boss wants to be able to get Cash Flow / Financial reports
- Sales wants to be able to do quotes
- Peachtree provides a free SDK (provided you understand COM ;)
http://www.peachtree.com/partners/addonpartners/

P.S. Yes we know about the web interface that is available from Best / Peachtree. However, their pages require IE in order to function and that is simply unacceptable.

P.P.S. If anyone out there knows of another program that is comparable to Peachtree in features (and already has good web support) then feel free to let me know about that alternative. We're looking to upgrade