Getting .NET to work

I want to be able to run the .NET example at:
http://at.php.net/manual/en/class.dotnet.php

When I tried it on my Win XP Pro, SP2 machine using
the CLI (command line) version of PHP I got:
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'com_exception' with message
'Failed to init .Net runtime [CoCreateInstance] Class not registered

The DOCs said I need to install the .Net runtime to be able to use it
so I went to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/Overview/default.aspx
and thence to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx
and was totally confused.  Could someone please help out and say what,
actually,
I am supposed to download and how it should be installed

Thanks,
Csaba Gabor from Vienna