system() on Windows 2003

I have a script that calls:
    system('copy /b prnfile lpt4:', $result);
or:
    system('type prnfile > lpt4', $result);
the result is '1' and it doesn't send it to lpt4.
I have tried:
    system('type prnfile', $result);
the result of that is '0' and it puts all the info in the file on the
browser screen.

I have tried a number of commands in there it seems that the commands that
only require 'read' permissions work but when they need to 'write' to
something it fails.

I think that this is a permissions issue but I can't figure out where to set
what permission

Has anyone had any experiance making PHP talk directly to a LPT port? so I
an avoid this problem all togeather?
I tried to do that when I wrote this script but was unsuccessful. this same
script works on a 2000 box but with 2003's new security it causes a problem

anyone have any ideas?

anyone have any ideas?