RE: sharing files over network with XP Home and PHP?

>When having firewalls and stuff that shouldn't really be a problem.. Also,
>notice that I would only recommend it for home users.. The reason I want it
>as admin is to give it full access to everything so.. And why I want that?
>So that I can do just about anything you could possibly think of.. Using
>FFI
>if necessary.. Besides.. Is it really _that_ big differense? I know some
>differences, but how much of it would matter in this case? Access to
>everyones documents and what else (in home edition that is)? XP anyway have
>a feature that I have a feeling will give access to any users anyway..

What you choose to do on your network is up to you, of course, but I think
it is very bad practice to offer advice on a PHP mailing list that advises
people that have machines (potentially connected to the internet) set up
with wide open shares and apache running as Administrator.  I am not so sure
that you cannot set the permissions of the folder correctly anyway, and it
is only my lack of Windows XP that has stopped me from commenting on this.

If you wish to employ bad practice for your own home setup that is fine,
please don't post to this group (which is archived and will be searched) and
advocate similar practice for everybody else.

If your firewall is the built in XP one, don't rely on it at all, I have
read reports of the SP2 version of this being hacked within a couple of days
of it being released. Be warned - you run Apache as administrator, with wide
open shares at your own risk - your system registry is a file, your
passwords are stored in a file, your system is on that HD - do you really
want to risk some 14yo script kiddie smashing your machine just cos you left
the doors wide open?

Mikey